Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Sleep Well - 10 Good Habits


I have no sleeping problems. Every night when it is time for me to slumber off I just look forward to it. Perhaps it is my habits that decide the quality of my sleep. Here I would like to share with you a few tips to sleep well at night:


1. Sleep and wake up at the same time:
It is my habit to go to bed between 10 and 11 at night and I wake up between 6 and 7 in the morning. The regular sleeping and awakening pattern will set my biological clock in auto mode.


2. Regular exercise:
I jog regularly around 6 in the evening about three times a week. The physical routines help me to sleep better.


3. Turn the light off:
When I go to bed the room is pitch-dark. This will also help me to fall asleep faster.


4. Your bed:
Don’t use your bed for anything else. I don’t. I only use it to sleep at night. That’s another good habit.


5. A light snack:
I have a habit of munching a few biscuits or something light to eat and a cup of Milo before I go to sleep. I don’t take coffee anymore. Not that I can’t go to sleep but a cup of Milo is healthier. Perhaps you can try something else to help you to sleep better. Get a cup of warm milk which contains trytophan, a substance that induces you to sleep.


6. No noise during sleeping time:
It helps me to sleep better in a quiet room.There is no TV or hi-fi in the room.


7. Sleeping rituals:
What do you do before you go to bed? My habit is to do a little bit of reading. Just a few minutes of reading will put me in a sleepy mood.


8. End the day well:
Make sure that there is no outstanding issues for the day to bother you at night. And you have already written in your to-do-list for any pending matters. It helps.


9. Wear comfortable clothing:
Usually I’ll put on a T-shirt and short pants when it is a warm night. During the North East Monsoon in December I will wear a pair of long trousers to sleep.


10. Avoid stimulants:
Beverages such as tea and coffee interfere with your sleep. Stay away from them in the evening.


Go to bed early and get up early; the early bird catches the best worm, there goes the saying. Good night and sleep well.

No comments:

Post a Comment